Monday, November 5, 2007

Like it's my job? I forget that I have another job, which my parents pay $45,000 a year to allow me to do.

It looks like I'm more able to update every other day than every single day, so that's what I'm going to expect from myself.

I haven't written anything substantive for my play since last Thursday. Though last night (late, late, after finishing a paper), I did have an idea of how to solve a problem in my concept. Have I written it down? Nope, I'm sitting on it!

Re: Anne Bogart:

Miss Bogart is a very influential theater artist, the 'mama of uptown theater' according to her pal and student Tina Landau. As an undergrad in Baltimore, I have no real concept of what that means. How good are her productions? I have no idea. How many artists self-identify as being Bogart-based? I have no idea.

I find A Director Prepares to be about equal parts false philosophy and artistic hokum. I think it's often irresponsibly written (check your facts, Bogart!) and self congratulatory. So my opinion is obviously not balanced (though I will defend it as fair).

One Bogart vocab word I kind of like is 'irimi' - - a concept she learned from her extensive training in aikido (Anne Bogart could beat me up, everyone). This is the idea that at any moment, you may have to defend yourself or attack your opponent; either way you will have to act, decisively and probably violently. A practical example: Bogart is directing a show and knows she needs to fix something, but she doesn't know how. She begins to walk towards the actors regardless, and by the time she's close enough to drop them with an awesome aikido chop, she knows what to say.

I like this idea because it's how I started this blog post. I had no idea then how I would finish.

The End.

4 comments:

Julie said...

You know I love ya, and because of that I am instructing you to go back and edit that last sentence there. Please. Quickly.

Ever Thine,
The Grammar Gestapo

Julie said...

Also, "aikido" reminds me of "akita" which makes me think of cute puppies, which makes me happy. Very nearly as happy as I will be when 4 o'clock rolls around and I can get out of here.

Still thine,
-julie.

Mitch said...

Just to be clear, misspelling a word is not a mistake in grammar. And thanks for proofing, I would have been very embarrassed if my folks had seen that mistake.

(I'm PRETTY sure they're the only other people who read this thing.)

Julie said...

"Spelling Gestapo" is not alliterative. Therefore, it's an inferior option.

You're a pooper.